Portfolio Planning Calendar Forum
The National Anaesthetic Registrars Forum will be an annual meeting of Anaesthetic Registrars from all the academic centres in South Africa. The aim is to encourage and expand academic activities amongst the registrar body, as well as for registrars to come together as one large group in order to be more influential and gain bargaining power.
It is hoped that the Forum will provide the following:
- An opportunity for registrars to present academic papers to their peers.
- To encourage research co-operation between the anaesthetic departments on topical subjects.
- To encourage debate amongst registrars.
- An opportunity for registrars to interact socially.
- A forum to discuss issues particular to registrars and to attempt to solve common problems.
- An opportunity for registrars to listen to non-academic presentations e.g. SAMA, MPS,
- To develop a united approach to labour related issues such as ensuring standardisation of working environments and training.
Currently there is no meeting like this taking place in South Africa. At the annual SASA congress there is a session devoted to registrar presentations. However it can be difficult for registrars to attend this congress as it usually takes place during the week prior to college exams. There is no forum for anaesthetic registrars to discuss their issues at a national level.
This forum will be run by a committee made up of one junior and one senior anaesthetic registrar from each centre. When a particular centre is holding this forum the two registrars representing that centre will organize the forum. The forum will rotate between the different centres.
The directions to IALCH and Medical School Campus are as follows:
From Durban Int Airport:
- Follow the boards that lead to N2 North (Stanger). DO NOT follow the M4.
- On the N2 (after ~ 10 Km) take Exit 161 M7(E) Queensburgh/Edwin Swales off-ramp.
- At the traffic light turn right towards Edwin Swales/Bluff.
- IALCH: After -2 Km (1st sets of traffic lights) on the M7(E) take the left Bellair Road turn.
Medical School Campus: 5. Proceed a further ~4 Km on M7E (pass 2nd set of traffic lights) and take the left Umbilo Road glide off. The Medical school is 719 Umbilo Road.