Gastroenterology services are coordinated and managed within the overall referral system through the District Hospitals throughout the Province to Regional and the Tertiary/Central Hospital Services. The Gastroenterology Department services primarily Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central and King Edward VIII Hospitals. Routine consultation for in-patient is provided at both hospitals. Gastroenterology procedures are provided in collaboration with the Department of Surgery within the Durban Functional Region.
At a secondary level, a clinic is run on a weekly basis on a Monday mornings at King Edward VIII Hospital. A tertiary Gastroenterology/Hepatology clinic is held weekly on a Thursday morning at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital.
Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital
The GI Unit at IALCH provides an endoscopic service to the following categories of patients:
- Patients referred to the GI clinic because of the complexity/severity etc of the underlying problem which needs a Gastroenterologist’s opinion.
- Patients referred from other tertiary out-patient services at IALCH.
- In-patients at IALCH who require urgent endoscopy.
- Complex or technically difficult procedures which require a high degree of expertise and competence such as Endoscopic Retrograde
- Cholangio-Pancreatography, Endoscopic ultrasound, oesophageal motility and 24hr pH manometry.
- We additionally provide an 8-bedded in-patient facility.
Prof KA Newton MBCHB FCP(SA)