THE CONCEPT SHEET
WHAT IS THE CONCEPT SHEET?
The concept sheet is a brief document, based on a standard template developed within the School, which outlines the research work you intend to carry out in order to obtain your degree.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE CONCEPT SHEET?
We regard your concept sheet as a very important document. It has the following purposes:
For the student
- In drawing up your concept sheet, you will lay out the direction and the boundaries of your research idea.(Without a clear concept of your research, you will have great difficulty on planning a proper protocol.)
- It will allow you and your supervisor to judge whether the work is both original enough and sufficient in scope to qualify for the degree.
- It will encourage you to think of your project in terms of a sequence of publications
For the School
- It allows the School to make a preliminary assessment as to whether your work is likely to be original enough and of sufficient breadth and depth to qualify for the degree.
- We can see whether your choice of supervisor is appropriate.
- We have a record of the are in which you will be working and the direction you will be taking.
- We can see whether there is a risk of your work impinging on the work of others.