SUBMISSION OF RESEARCH PROTOCOLS
The School has simplified the procedure for submission of protocols for degree and non-degree purposes. The and may be downloaded her
FORMS AND INSTRUCTIONS
The following procedure applies
For research towards a higher degree
- The supervisor must ensure that the protocol is of high quality and appropriate for the purposes of the degree for which the student is registered. There is no formal external review process.
- Both the supervisor and the Head of Discipline (or a specific person tasked for the purpose within the discipline) will sign the protocol submission cover page. If either has any concern re the suitability and robustness of the protocol for degree purposes, they have a responsibility to seek a further opinion. (Bear in mind however, that the person providing that opinion is subsequently disqualified as an examiner.) The Academic Leader of Research is available for advice and assistance in strengthening the protocol.
For research for non-degree purposes
- The principal investigator and Head of Discipline (or a specific person tasked for the purpose within the discipline) will sign the protocol submission cover page.
- Submit the protocol, the protocol cover page and the formal ethics submission to the Postgraduate Office. Thereafter no further action is required by the student/supervisor/researcher.
- The Academic Leader of Research will sign off the protocol if he or she is satisfied that there are no issues requiring specific attention.
- The Postgraduate Office will forward the submission to the relevant ethics committee.
Once the ethics committee has given permission, the Postgraduate Office will inform the student that research may begin.